Saturday, February 6, 2010

Well we, Dave and Dawn, started the adventure last year with a desire to build some fun, surf kayaks. We did some thinking and planned. Then we started! Since there are two of us, I decided to make some patterns from the plans. With those patterns we cut our parts.

I decided to paint my kayak after seeing a very nice looking one that was painted. I usually like to see the wood, although natural or stained plywood is not my thing. Dawn wanted a stained one. And Dawn being a woman, she want a scarf!! And I just stayed puzzled. I used a small router with a pattern cutting bit on it. It worked great. Just a few little hiccups but you learn as you go. I converted the puzzle joints to scarf joints on some tracing paper. I made a simple little jig to cut the scarfs with block plane.

1 comment: